Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Motherhood at Night -

This is the first poem I have written in over two years. It is the first I have ever written as a mother. The first I have ever written about my daughter.


Motherhood at Night

The sirens wake her
they both cry out in the night.
When a lullaby and coo is not enough
I know the warmth of my breast will be.

When a lullaby and a coo is not enough
we search for ourselves in the night.
Our hair is loosed and so are our heads
so we speak in tongues.

Our hair is loosed and so are our heads.
She is both my growing Aya and
my Gye Nyame, so I must be her Eban.
Our bond is nuclear.

She proved God to me, I must be her Eban.
For her, I must be both human
and forever.
I am her mother.

3 comments:

  1. this is incredibly cute! I like...

    the ending is fantastic.
    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww...aya...i am her mother! this is so cute, i glad u r making it thru those long nights. Go you! and u still manage to get up and go to work everyday! :)
    -Donda

    ReplyDelete